By Tod Linafelt
BbWhat position may perhaps the hot testomony have performed within the cultural historical past of anti-Semitism that culminated within the Holocaust? and the way has the Holocaust in flip affected the way in which we read-or should still read-the founding textual content of Christianity? even supposing the philosophical, moral, and theological implications of the Holocaust have acquired a lot consciousness in recent times, its implications for our practices of biblical interpretation have long past principally unexplored. In A Shadow of Glory essentially the most favorite modern students in religious study and Jewish studies-both Christian and Jewish, American and European-lay the foundation for a brand new post-Holocaust hermeneutics.
Read Online or Download A Shadow of Glory. Reading the New Testament After the Holocaust PDF
Similar new testament books
This learn examines one major theological topic in Luke-Acts, that of 'The plan of God'. It lines the best way this topic is built all through Luke-Acts, either via direct statements through the author and during a variety of linked capability resembling divine appearances, symptoms and wonders, the fulfilment of prophecy, and symptoms of destiny as of necessity.
The price of many items and lots of social and criminal norms and associations is correlated to the variety of those who undertake them, in different phrases: They show community results. yet whereas harmonization complements community advantages, it additionally diminishes the advantages derived from style. within the first a part of his examine, Volker Simmering introduces an evolutionary online game theoretic version that allows you to examine how globalization impacts the evolution of overseas criteria and he compares the jobs of obligatory and voluntary criteria.
During this first examine of its type, famous Pentecostal Lucan student Martin Mittelstadt has undertaken an in depth exam of Pentecostal scholarship with a watch towards assessing the impression of Luke-Acts upon it. starting with Azusa highway and carrying on with to the current Mittelstadt: 1) strains the emergence of Pentecostal scholarship within the educational industry with many of the responses to the catalytic paintings of James D.
- On the Independence of Matthew and Mark (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- Paul and the Rhetoric of Reversal in 1 Corinthians: The Impact of Paul's Gospel on his Macro-Rhetoric (Society for New Testament Studies Monograph Series)
- The Theology of the Gospel of Mark (New Testament Theology)
- Praying the Gospels
- Moses in Corinth: The Apologetic Context of 2 Corinthians 3
- James the Brother of Jesus: The Key to Unlocking the Secrets of Early Christianity and the Dead Sea Scrolls
Extra resources for A Shadow of Glory. Reading the New Testament After the Holocaust
14. Martin Dibelius and Hans Conzelmann, The Pastoral Epistles, trans. " 15. Rudolph Bultmann, Theology of the New Testament, Vol. 2, trans. Kendrick Grobel (New York: Scribners, 1955), 186. 16. Ernst Kasernann, "Paul and early Catholicism," New Testament Questions of Today, trans. Wilfred F. Bunge (New York:Harper & Row, 1969),239. 17. Jesus MeansFreedom: A Polemical Survey of the New Testament, trans. Frank Clarke (Philadelphia: Fortress Press, 1968). 18. James Barr, Holy Scripture: Canon, Authority, Criticism (Philadelphia: Westminster Press, 1983),93.
Fran zAlt, Iesus-i-der erste neue Mann (M unc hen: Piper Verlag, 1989). 39. Micha Brumlik, Der Anti-Alt (Frankfu rt am Main : Eichb orn Verlag, 1991). 40. A1t, Jesus, 84. Susannah Hesche! 41 41. Edith Wyschogrod, Spirit in Ashes: Hegel, Heidegger, and Man-MadeMassDeath (New Haven: YaleUniversity Press, 1985), ix. 42. Trutz Rendtorff, "Das Wissenschaftsverstandnis der protestantischen Universitatstheologie im Dritten Reich;' in Theologische Fakultiiten im Nationalsozialismus, eds. Leonore Siegele-Wenschkewitz and Carsten Nicolaisen (Gottingen: Vandenhoeck and Ruprecht, 1993), 19--44.
4. Siegfried Leffler,born in 1900, joined the NSDAP on June 1, 1929; his membership number was 138841. Julius Leutheuser, also born in 1900, joined the NSDAP the same day; his membership number was 138836. BDC, Leffler,and Leutheuser materials. 5. Martin Sasse,born in 1890, joined the NSDAP on March 1, 1930; his membership number was 204010 BDC, Sasse materials. 6. Copies of the regulations are found in the Archive of the Evangelische Church in Thuringen (LKA) in Eisenach. 7. Friedrich Werner, born in 1897, joined the NSDAP on January 1, 1931; his membership number was 411184.